9.15.2008

Way2GoMD

This past Saturday morning, I had the opportunity to attend the launching of the "Way2Go Maryland" Campaign designed to increase outreach to middle school students about college. As some may know, i am particularly passionate about this program because of my future plans to teach middle school in Baltimore City.

The launch of the campaign was held at the Maryland Science Center. After the initial ceremony, lunch and a college fair was held for the families and students in attendance from all over Baltimore City. I had the opportunity to speak with a number of students and families and was inspired by their persistence and dedication to pursue higher education. I know that I often take for granted the opportunities that I was presented with.

In coming months, the program will reach out to middle school students and their families both about the opportunities for college and the steps that need to be taken starting in middle school to help prepare students for higher education. The system will be working with its co-sponsor, ATK, and community groups to connect.

In coming weeks, I will be sure to share with you upcoming opportunities to participate in this project. I am inspired to share the opportunity that I have been afforded and I hope you share the same sentiment.

No comments: