9.12.2008

The "College Experience" for Nontraditonal Students

After a group planning session last night for one of my classes, I got into talking with one of my peers about his college experience. My friend works at UMB in the evenings, has a wife and daughter, and is attending UMBC on the side. Later that night, my thoughts were brought back again to my friend and his experience at UMBC and how we serve nontraditional students.

As we examine growth in higher education in coming years, there seem to be two major areas of expansion; expansion of non-traditional students and also an increase of minority and low-income students. Both areas of growth are a response to increased accessibility to higher education and increased demand for skilled workers.

But what does this all really mean? It means that our colleges do not simply serve 18-22 year-old's who live on or near campus with friends, like me. More critically, our campuses have to both meet the needs and work for our peers who are working part- and full-time jobs, have families or parents to take care of, and/or travel some distance to attend school. Every time I register for classes, I think to myself whether I could make it at UMBC reasonably by taking classes that would not disrupt with a workday. While possible under ideal circumstances, its quite difficult. I also think about campus resources, and realize they are mostly only open during the day.

Many colleges are readily exploring e-learning and distance to allow students to learn away from the college. While I understand the reasons for these changes, I might challenge this notion and suggest that we mold our current campuses and services to serve nontraditional students on campus. Most professors are available for advising during the day. Food options often close at night. Offices for business and academic services often close at night. Few classes are ever held on weekends. Majors have limited course selections early in the morning or late at night. Athletic facilities may not be open at ideal hours for students. I suggest we challenge or notions of how campuses operate as we consider the experience of nontraditional students.

How does your university serve, cater, and support nontraditional students? What are some things I should raise at the Board of Regents when it comes to the experience of nontraditional students?

No comments: