9.07.2008

First USMSC Meeting/Transcript Fees

Hello Everyone,
My name is Brian Frazee and I am a sophomore at UMBC. Today, I attended my first USMSC meeting as a shadow representative and wanted to write a bit about what I learned. I was very impressed with the USM Student Council. I knew that the USMSC had a very important role, but I didn't realize until today how dedicated and conscientious all of the representatives are.
It was very refreshing as a USM student to see that representatives from all of our institutions cared so much about the system as a whole, as well as their own respective institutions. We debated real issues and were able to listen to numerous different perspectives on pertinent topics such as lowering the drinking age, tuition policy, environmental sustainability, and the slots referendum. Having guest speakers to help us facilitate these discussions helped us even more because we were able to obtain expert knowledge, research, and facts that helped us determine how to render the students' perspective to the system leadership, including the Board of Regents and Chancellor Kirwan.
All in all, I am very impressed and very excited to begin working as a UMBC representative to the USMSC. I am very inspired by all of the other representatives that were present today and I thank all of you for such a productive, efficient meeting.

I did want to bring up an issue that is currently facing UMBC students. Up until July 1 of this year, transcripts were free for students to obtain. Now, we have to pay $8 for each transcript, which concerns many students because of the typical amount of transcripts we need over the course of our lifetime (grad school, careers, etc.) Today at the USMSC meeting, I brought up the point and I found out that some institutions in the system charge approximately $5 per transcript after 3 free transcripts (in any given transaction), while others charge per transcript or not at all. Can each school contact me or comment on this post and tell me how their school deals with transcripts? Do you all have to pay? This information will be helpful for me because UMBC student leaders are initiating efforts to either reduce or eliminate this $8 fee. Thanks!

2 comments:

Roberto Munster said...

At UMCP there is no charge but there is a limit in the number of transcripts students can request. Student may get up to 9 official transcripts online and up to 5 in person. These limits are "per request", so I assume that students can make one request every day.

L said...

At Towson I've never had to pay for an official transcript (which is nice, because that's what my insurance company wants from me every semester). I'm sure students pay for them out of some sort of fee (like taxes paying for roads), but it's a blanket thing and there isn't any cap from what I can tell.